Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Working in progress...

I love my family...I hope I have made that very clear in earlier posts.  They are my inspiration and my insanity.  My family loves my cooking, ( I did too, look where it got me!!)  Learning how to cook healthier, leaner, and still keeping the "love" alive is still a work in progress....

Hubby will eat and try anything I make, always has.  He lets me know, yes that is a do again, or maybe a once in a while, or not terrible, but I think once is enough.  My kids are all different, #1 carnivore extreme, #2 carb extreme, #3 chicken nuggets, cheese, pasta plain, fruit and yougurt ONLY...So their opinions are taken with a grain of salt...but I have to cook for all of them and me and I refuse to be a short order chef, so they are learning to eat like mom...I must say for the most part, everything I have made thus far has been received very well, even by Mr. Picky (last night not included)...so last night feeling a little more confident, I experimented with meatballs...I made taco meatballs...to 3 pounds of beef I added 1/2 c cilantro, 1/4 c taco seasoning, 1/4 cup onions, 1/2 pace salsa, 2 eggs, 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cumin, pepper and rolled them into 1.7 ounce raw meatballs (when cooked they weighed 1.4 ounces)...They were very flavorful, and good.   In an effort to keep the calories down, I went and got wheat pita breads, cut up a little avacado and lettuce, with pepper jack cheese (sour cream and tomato for those who like them) and we made pita bread taco-meatball tacos...My husband loved them said they were a do over for sure, #1 loved them espeacially the added avacado (new for her  but glad to see she added it), #2 put meat and cheese in the pita only loved the pita did not like the circle of the meatball, she cut it all up as if it were ground beef.  #3 please!!!  But I loved it too.  2 meatballs is 3 oz of meat, added 1/4 of the pita(.2 oz) and then filled the remaining .8 oz with cheese and avacado...I stayed within the 4 oz had a huge amount of protein from the meatballs, I was so proud....Then I added up the calories from the meatball recipe with the added cheese and pita...Note to self!!!  skip the cheese and pita!!!  It ended up being like 463 calories...I exercised and was till under calories for the day, but I was disapointed that the cal count was so high....

Well I give myself an A for effort.  I will keep the meatballs they are 258 cal for a 3 oz serving and I just need to cut out some calories...maybe only 1/2 a cup of bread crumbs and 1 egg and only 1/4 salsa and 1/4 tomato sauce...I am not a fan of ground turkey though I am sure you could substitute it and take away lots of cal.  I will still need to play with it, or you all play with it and share your substitutions!! However, the protein count was 22 just for the meatballs alone, not including the cheese (7 grams) and the wheat pita had protein too 2.5 grams.   That was a total of 31.5 grams of protein and I was full!!  As I said, a work in progress...living, learning, and becoming learner right??!!  Happy Tuesday... P.S.  still learning how this blog things works, not confident enough to add pictures yet, but I will!!!

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, if you mix in a chopped onion and taco seasoning into a lb of ground turkey, they can't tell the difference. My husband couldn't!

    ReplyDelete